Rumi…he was a special build (named after a 13th-century Persian poet).
The client wanted something special. Like, truly special. And so, I decided that Rumi shall be the very best in practicality, yet a home that will be loved for many years to come.
The initial brief
I was contacted through Facebook around 2 years ago. In fact, it was just after I published Vera. After many conversations back and forth, we finally came up with the perfect plan.
The client asked for something that is ‘Light, Earthy & Organic.’ They also wanted the ability to walk from the cab through the back doors, plus a few additional extras.
So, I assembled a team of expert craftspeople, and we all got to work on what would be a true showpiece.
Rumi: The Build
At the very outset, I wanted to build something that would capture the fairytale beauty of nature. I knew this had to be special.
As you step inside the van, you will first notice the wood, and yes, there’s a lot of it. The walls and ceiling are finished in beautiful British Western Red-Wood cladding. The rope curtain ties, vintage tiles, and touches of rustic brass throughout add to the fantasy world.
The kitchen has a farm-style sink, brass tap, 3-ring hob plus an oven, grill and a built-in fridge freezer. Everything the owner will need when travelling into a world of adventure.
And, of course, the Hobbit stove ties in beautifully with the van’s aesthetic.
There is also a stained-glass door that took many hours to hand-make. A special thanks to @lightleadeddesigns for that one.
When the sun goes down, and its time to sleep, there’s a pull-out double bed situated right under the metre wide Velux skylight.
In the day, the bed folds away revealing an ample-sized dining table and seating.
The electrical system; well, where do I start. She is fitted with 175-watts of power, as well as an on-board mains power supply system.
And finally, as you step back from Rumi, you will notice she is graced in a beautiful forest design and a tree of life mural created by the highly talented @aerosol art. I feel this is such a perfect fit for this van.
Rumi, you have been a pleasure to work on.
- 1m x 1.5m Velux Skylight by CRS Building Supplies Bridgwater
- Stained Glass Door by Jan Czugalinski
- Full Artwork Piece by Sam Gaden
- Black Rhino Alloys On BFGoodrich Tyres
- Bespoke Upholstery by Seats & Solder
- Forcali Room Sealed LPG Boiler
- Underslung Gas Tank by Autogas 2000 Leisure Ltd
- Votronic B2B Charger by Simply Split Charge
- Victron Solar Smart Charge
- 12v Fuseboard
- Mains Hookup
- CTEK Power Sport Mains Charger
- Ring 250w Inverter
- Bluetooth Surround Sound.
- 2x Deep Cycle Powerline Leisure Batteries
- 175w Solar Panel
- Underslung Water & Waste Tank by @Barratt Tanks
- Smev Oven & Grill
- Dometic 3 Ring Hob
- Bespoke Windows In Gold by Caldwells Windows Ltd
- The Hobbit Stove by Salamander Stoves
- British Red Western Cedar Cladding by Timberclad
- Dometic CRX50 Fridge/Freezer
- Tiles by Mandarin Stone
- 900 x 700 Shower Tray
- Lagun Adjustable Dining & Reading Table
And much more…..
Again, a huge thanks to everyone that’s been part of building this tiny home for two beautiful customers.
️ Light Leaded Designs
️ Steve Howes (240v)
Simon and Kiana Photography
Steel & Oak
Prominent Editorial Mentions
A Spectacular Campervan Conversion That Turns Heads – Living In A Shoebox